Sunday, February 10, 2008

Flying Progress

Well I have to say, I am totally amazed at what a profound effect this flying stuff has had on my life in such a short time!!! I have gone from being stressed out of my head, to having a plan each day, getting my boy to school on time every day so far (this is a HUGE achievement for me!) and not living in a filthy pit wishing it was cleaner. All this in just a week - wow!!

I am finding many of the emails completely cheesy, but I've just set a folder up in my emails and all of my flylady emails just go straight there, so I don't get sidetracked reading every one, I just read the odd one here and there. That encouraged me to set up folders for all of my emails, so now it is not so overwhelming when I open my emails up, I know exactly what I need to reply to and I can find emails again easily when I need them later.

I kinda skipped ahead in the babysteps thing and I have a morning routine and an evening routine sorted, plus I have an routine for work as well, and already I am seeing progress on things that have been outstanding for months and months. Today I finished snapping a pile of nappies that has been sitting on my desk for at least six months if not longer! I have been doing 10 mins a day of snapping and after just 9 days, hooray it's done. Also doing filing in the same way, 5 mins a day of work and 5 mins a day of home and that giant pile is slowly fading away. I nearly wanted to take a before and after picture of my desk, 5 mins a day and now I can actually see the desk and don't have to spend ages digging around in the mounds of paper for what I need. Filing stuff is filed, current paperwork is in it's relevant folder in the filing tray and all the crap is gone - wooo hooooo. And because the desk is so much cleaner, I really feel that it is making me feel more organised and wanting to do more and more, the clutter reduction certainly makes me feel calmer. I'm still incredibly behind with everything for work, but because tiny bits are happening every day, I now feel like I can get on top of it all and I don't feel so overwhelmed that I don't know where to start and just wish for it all to go away - haha, if only ;)

Doing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen + benches every night before bed has a waaaaay bigger impact than I imagined, it is sooooo nice to wake up and not groan as you first walk into the kitchen and because it is already lovely to start with, I want to keep it that way all day, so I have been cleaning as I go, so it is staying nice. Brad was amazed last week when he was getting home after 9 and finding a practically sparkling kitchen, kiddies all sorted and in bed, bathroom clean and tidy and washing on the line. Normally if he got home that late and I was doing the whole dinner, bath, bed thing by myself, the house would look like a bomb had hit it lol. Best thing is that it doesn't take any more time, I guess I am just using the time more effectively and doing a quick kitchen clean up feels easier than a hideous clean when the sink and benches are piled with crap. I'm doing a daily bathroom swish too - I made a whole heap of microfibre clothes, size of cloth wipe, the each morning I do a 1 min on the sink wipedown etc, then I chuck the cloth in the shower and while I am showering, do a quick once-over, then chuck the cloth in the bath and do a quick once over just before I run the bath for the kiddies, then pop it in the wash. It's working so well, the bathroom always looks clean now and I can take bathroom cleaning off my weekly (ish lol) cleaning schedule. It encouraged a declutter as well, cos it took longer doing the shower with all the old bottles of shampoo etc, plus toys on the floor of the shower, so I got rid of all of those and put up the caddy that had been in the cupboard since we moved in, so I had somewhere to put the shampoo etc. Plus I went through all the toys and culled the dodgy ones and just keep what fits easily in the mesh bag, so that after the bath, the kids now put all their toys in the bag, so I just pull the plug, pick up the bathmat and it looks tidy again - hooray!

I've also been decluttering clothes and more - six bags gone so far and I can see the floor of our bedroom for the first time in months which is pretty embarrassing - usually we just close the door - that's just been a 15 min a day job too, I really am so amazed what a different 15 mins a day can make!!!

Anyway, I better stop raving on about the flylady, I can get a bit carried away with excitement sometimes LOL, plus I need to get finished up on the sewing room declutter - I did take a before and picture of that - I am sure the after ones will be amazing :D

So yes, after initially being very unsure, I reckon flylady rocks and I won't go back - bring on the super organised and destressed life!!! :D

No comments: