Thursday, February 7, 2008

My big schoolboy and his school 'handbag'




Well my grown up boy went very excitedly off to big school this week. I can't believe how time has flown!!! He has been busting to go and this morning he gave me a hug and semi clung to my leg for about a minute then he was off! He was so confident and ready for it :D Last year I decided that I would make him a schoolbag and asked what he wanted, showing him pics of backpacks. He did not want a backpack AT ALL!!! lol, instead he wanted a pink handbag with a rainbow on it! A big ask indeed!

Eventually I decided to do the Meena's Marsupial Tote in the stitch and bitch book. I made it a bit bigger - about half bigger, so instead of CO 16 stitches, I CO 24 and adjusted the rest accordingly. I knitted the base in pink, then started the colour changes for the body, 10 rows for each colour, but changing one of the strands of wool every 5 rows so the colours would kind of merge into each other. I was fairly happy with the end result, although the yellow wool was actually machine wash so it didn't felt doh! All knitted with cheapy stuff from spotlight :)
This is before felting:

This is after felting (three times through the wash on hot lol):

No comments: