Thursday, March 20, 2008

Finally Finished Maia's Skirt!!


Yippee - I am SO glad to have finally finished this, it has taken forever! No wonder though, when I was casting off, I realised that the skirt was squished onto a circ about a 1/4 the size of the circumference. I knew the stitches were squishy, but I didn't realise they were that squishy. I think I will be asking for some knit pics for M Day ;)

Pretty happy with how it came out though, especially considering I made the pattern up as I went along and I had no idea how it was going to come out til I finished. Basically I started the waist as per a normal pair of shorties/longies - 112 stitches for Maia's waist I think it was (she has a 44cm waist), then I knitted for a few rows after I finished the waistband - maybe 8 rows, then started increases at the hips. 1 increase at each hip, plus 1 increase 5 stiches before the marker and 5 stiches after. I did that every 5 rows (6 if I wasn't counting - ooops) til it was approx at her hips, then I continued the increases every 5 rows, but just did the 1 at each hip marker. Continued on til I thought it was long enough and finished off with a picot hem. How's that for the dodgiest ever pattern instructions LMAO.

Doing the stripes looks very pretty, but was an absolute biatch when it came to weaving all those ends in, it took me a week from the time I finished knitting, until they were all done - maybe 4 or 5 hours of weaving - very demotivating when you are already 'finished'. Next time will be in a variated yarn for sure, just knit, knit, knit til it's done.

I haven't washed it or anything yet - that might be blocking - wash and lay flat to dry?? I've gotta get more up on the techy terms ;) so hopefully the hem won't roll up after that. I've still gotta put the elastic in the waistband too, but that is a job for the morning when miss m is awake - I am pretty sure I know what she will be wearing tomorrow :)

No comments: