Thursday, March 6, 2008

Our $50 March Challenge

After getting two monster unexpected bills, plus having to get a new washing machine and Brad loosing heaps of hours at work, I decided to do something very drastic, kind of cos we need to and kind of as bit of a challenge to see if we can actually do it. Each week in March, I will try to do the weekly grocery shopping for just $50. Yep feeding a family of 4 for $50 a week certainly won't be easy, but I do have a few things on my side. I am a bit of a hoarder when it comes to food and I tend to stock up when things come on special, so we already have at least 2 weeks worth of soy milk, plus quite a bit of rice/noodles/pasta in the pantry, I just bought 5kgs of spelt last week so we'll be good for bread and we are usually getting 3 eggs a day from the chooks at the moment.

One of the important things for me though, is that I don't want to compromise nutrition just to eat cheaply, so we won't be living on white bread, 2 min noodles and skanky vegies. I guess that makes it a little harder because generally it is cheaper to eat crap food than good food, but I just think we'll have to be a bit more creative ;)

So far in week 1, I have spent $27.50 on a big box of fruit and veg and a carton of milk, so I have $22.50 left, I'll report back in on Sunday and let you know how I go with it :)

1 comment:

tikki said...

Sue that's an awesome challenge!! can't wait to see how you go,

BTW i tagged you on my blog :D