Monday, July 21, 2008

This is why I will leave softie making to the experts ;)


Maia's only request for her birthday was that she wanted a cat, not any old cat, it had to be a black one. Since we are renting, a cat was not an option, so I decided to make her a softie cat, thinking it would be a piece of cake, but I was just a little wrong.

First I thought I could draw my own pattern and just make up a cat, but my few dodgy attempts had me searching out a pattern online instead - I did want it to actually end up looking somewhat cat-like afterall. I didn't really find anything I liked, so ended up using a pattern for a door-stop that is supposed to be filled with beans/rice etc.

The face was supposed to be painted on, but in true Sue style, I didn't actually start the cat making until 10pm the night before Maia's birthday and I didn't have any fabric paints, so improvised with sewing the face on.

I managed to get it done and wrapped up, but my sewing on of the head led a little to be desired and we had a headless cat within half an hour of the present being opened, so the cat had to go back into surgery.

I finally managed to give 'black cat' it's head back on operation while I was at fingal, Maia was delighted to have her cat back and it is now competing with fairy maia for top spot on the bed. She has named her new precious 'frenny' and she loves it very much, so will probably forgive her mama for being a dodgy softie maker ;)

No comments: